About Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital
Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital was established in 1977 by Dr. Dale Cupp. It was originally a mixed animal practice, providing large and small animal care for the Yorktown, Hampton, and Newport News areas.
The 1900-square-foot building was expanded in 1986 to create an equine surgery and recovery unit. With this expansion, Dr. Cupp brought in a new veterinarian, Dr. Robert Freeman, to be his equine veterinarian and surgeon. At that time, Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital was one of the few local veterinary hospitals to offer equine surgery.
In 1994, Dr. Cupp sold the equine division of Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital to one of his associate veterinarians, Dr. Steven King. Dr. King moved his practice out of the original building and created Pine Meadow Equine Service, PC, a mobile large animal veterinary service. You still see him traveling this area today!
In 1996, Dr. Cupp decided to open a new practice in Disputanta, Virginia. Upon his move, he sold Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital to two of his long-standing associate veterinarians, Dr. Robert Freeman and Dr. James Mitzel. Dr. Mitzel had been working as an assistant at Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital since 1980 and as a veterinarian since 1988.
Dr. Angela Bross joined us at the end of 2022. Dr. James Mitzel has now retired. The staff includes an additional veterinarian, Dr. James Mullen, two to three licensed veterinary technicians, a network of skilled receptionists, and assistants. While on the surface, the building may look the same, Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital has progressed with modern and innovative veterinary medicine, offering digital radiology, ultrasound, endoscopy, laser therapy, and a number of in-house laboratory diagnostic services including blood work, fungal cultures, skin cytology, and fecal panels.
Since its inception, Pine Meadow Veterinary Hospital has strived to provide superior customer service and compassionate veterinary care for the Hampton, Yorktown, and Newport News area and beyond.